The sewage facilities in my community are Fairfield Water and Sewer Services, Dixon Waster Water Facilities, Easterly Waste Water Treatment Plant in Vacaville.
After getting lab tests done to screen for certain chemicals, I would feel anxious, stressed and overwhelmed. I would tell myself to prepare for the worst and to keep a positive outlook. Upon receiving the news that I tested positive for dioxins, DDT, organophosphate, lead, solvent, PCBs, and phthalates I would be devastated and I would feel helpless learning that there are no safe levels. I would then ask the doctor to refer me to specialist that could help me detox my body from these chemicals and try to deduce how I was exposed and eliminate those products from my immediate environment. Reflecting on the DDT in my body, it may have bee due to the 10 days I was in Honduras on a medical brigade where because of risk of mosquito borne illnesses we were told to where DDT around the clock and when we slept. I would be completely devastated but after this class I would accept it as a reality because of all the chemical toxins and exposures that are around us everyday. It would fe...
Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) recently released update guidelines that can be applied to small or medium sized work settings. My work place is the type where OSHA guidelines could be applicable. The goal of the guidelines is to reduce work related injuries and or death, reduce workers' compensation issues, and overall improve the workplace environment for employee and employers. The core elements are management leadership, worker participation, hazard identification and assessment, hazard prevention and control, education and training, program evaluation and improvement, and lastly, communication and coordination for host employers, contractors, and staffing agencies. For example, for hazard prevention and control, the benefit for workers is that workers identify what they would consider a type of hazard. Worker's input is highly regarded and seen as essential. This is important, although at my work, we have occupational therapist check our work space to...
Comments
Post a Comment